Yesterday our visas arrived in the mail, so one more obstacle cleared! They are very official looking! I've never had a visa in my passport before but somehow I was expecting some sheet stapled into my passport, not a permanent-looking thing. I guess that comes from my days working at the boat line when I would see people with visa waivers in their passports. Anyhow, we are cleared for entry into the UK effective June 1st.
We also have our temporary accommodations arranged now, so it looks like for the first little while we will be living in Chelsea! I don't think we'll end up permanently in Chelsea (can't afford it) but it will be fun to stay there for the short term. It's a one-bedroom flat in a block of purpose-built short-term lets. Full kitchen, washer/dryer, etc. We'll be a 4-minute walk to the South Kensington tube station, and look to be situated about halfway between Hyde Park to the north and the Thames to the south (probably 5-10 minute walk to either). And two days after we arrive we have an appointment to go flat-hunting!
Things are definitely coming together, although I lie awake at night wondering what major detail we have forgotten. The house is pretty much all packed up, we are in great shape there. Noise is dropping off his car today for the lease take-over, and mine is going in to the dealership tomorrow to be returned as well. So I'm off now to remove all my personal belongings from it. We're getting a rental car for the next few days as we're off to Toronto for my good friend D's wedding.
Check back! Lots going on!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hi PetDoc!
I had no idea you had started your blog already!! I had assumed it would begin once you arrived in London (or maybe you HAD told me, and I was too wrapped up in my own little perils to remember...).
So I've just spent some time doing some reading 'catching up'. It's making me sad to read about all your preparations to leave...but at the same time excited for you - you're going to have such an amazing time. I can't believe it's so close.
So I guess I'll see you in a couple days at D's wedding. This is kind of fun, I want a blog name, too... Maybe B.J. (from Bridget Jones). Then you'll have a way to refer to me when I come to visit with the Irishman. ; )
Talk to you later,
Andrea (aka B.J.)
Awesome idea to have a blog, PetDoc, and a very good start, if I may compliment you! I plan to be a regular reader of your blogging...
Love the blog PetDoc. Looking forward to the discovery stories of fantastic London!!! You with all love it very much.
May I suggest a trip to Dover or Brighton on the south coast for a first trip out of London. Always nice to see the ocean and Brighton is a very popular summer tourist destination for the English!
All the best guys,
Katie B
PwC friend
Post a Comment