Wednesday, June 25, 2008

To say or not to say....?

Noise and I had an interesting discussion last night about the language differences here. What we were wondering was how far to go in trying to conform. Should we be making a conscious effort to use common words and phrases here, or just talk normally? My problem is that I feel like if I purposely say "cheers" instead of "thank you", it feels awkward and forced to me and I feel like that comes across. Also I almost feel like it's insulting somehow to use all their phrases. I'm not sure how, but that's how I feel. How would we feel in Canada if someone came from the UK? We probably wouldn't even notice if they said "thank you", but they would maybe feel the same awkwardness that I feel to say "cheers".

At work there are some phrases or words that I feel the need to conform to. For example, in Canada the procedure "neuter" applies to a male, although technically the term can be either gender. Here they use the term "castrate" for males, and I figure with a bit of practice I can do that too to avoid confusion. My coworkers know that I am practising. ;)

My theory is that aside from the work terms that I need to use to avoid confusion, I don't plan to purposely use Brit terms, but I expect that the longer we are here I will start picking up those words and phrases naturally. But should I be making the effort?

Tomorrow is my day off! I have no major plans except to sleep in a bit. We are in the midst of trying to make some plans for the weekend. We're hoping to plan another day trip for either Saturday or Sunday - possible destinations include Brighton, Cambridge, or Windsor, although there are a million places we could go. I think I have a line on some Wimbledon ground passes for Friday afternoon/evening, but we'll see if that pans out. The weather has been quite nice this week, no rain yet to disrupt the tennis. And we're starting to think about trying to get away somewhere for more than a day! Where to choose first? We are overwhelmed by the options!

2 comments:

The Singer said...

I've not been to Brighton or Cambridge, but Windsor is a great place to spend the day. I also think you guys would enjoy Bath, especially the Roman ruins.

CthaWorld said...

My sister can put you in touch with a nice little B&B on the beach in Wales (The Gower) - she and my parents just stayed there recently.

It is accessible entirely by public transport. :)