This will be much shorter than my first blog (I had to start with a bang), because unfortunately I don't have anything to say about the cool things that were going on in London for Canada Day. Why? Because I had to work. And so did PetDoc. Stupid work - financing all the wonderful adventures you will inevitably hear about. Always getting in the way of fun, that work.
Without creating a laundry list of the party that London was throwing for us Canadians, I did manage to wander down to Trafalgar Square where there was music, food, beer and Canadians. Good ol' sensible, polite, let's line up for 30mins for Tim Hortons (YES - they had a makeshift Tims stand) and have a good time Canadians. The atmosphere was great though - just a bunch of great people (Canadians) having a good time and enjoying the free concert. And there was also this booth setup called the Canada Store. They carry, as you can guess, all sorts of delectable treats from Canada - Mars bars, Twizzlers, Nibs and of course KD. In general, it was everything a homesick Canadian could want. (PetDoc was the happy recipient of some goodies. I am such a good husband.)
After a quick beer (notice I didn't say "pint"? It's still Canada Day and we say beer) I headed to check out the action at the Maple Leaf. I am not sure if this has been discussed before, but I understand that the Maple Leaf is a quintissential Canadian pub/bar in Covent Garden. It seems funny to say that there is such a thing as a Canadian pub, becuase in Canada we tend to have English and Irish pubs, but as a marketing tool I think it works in London. There are lots of Canadians here (as I realized tonight). Anyway, since the line was as long as any crowded bar in Canada will be today, I just kept walking by and headed home.
Thats where my Canada Day ended. PetDoc's wasn't any better - she didn't make it to any of this.
So sad.
Sad that we couldn't get out and celebrate Canada Day because of work. Sad because the party looked like fun and we couldn't get out and enjoy it.
I wouldn't say it was "surreal" or even incredible standing there celebrating Canada with all the history and sights of London around me (Trafalgar Square with Nelson's column, Big Ben in the distance, and the general atmosphere of London). But it was pretty cool.
Therefore, I have decided that work won't get in the way next year. I am taking Canada Day (and the next day if necessary) off! That's it. Decided.
HAPPY CANADA DAY.

No comments:
Post a Comment