Thursday, July 24, 2008

I'm Canadian, eh?

Tell me something - do I really sound American or is it just that the British can't tell the difference? Fair enough, I admit that I wouldn't be completely confident to tell the difference between an Aussie and a Kiwi, but then I just ask where the person is from, not make assumptions. In my job I meet a lot of different people every day and I have been amazed at how many of them ask where in the States I am from. The Singer has put together a little care package for us (All Bran Bars for Noise and Twizzlers for me - that says a lot, doesn't it?) and I have asked her to include a little maple leaf pin for me to wear on my tunic at work. Then we'll see... So my question is - do I really sound American? It has occurred to me that since most of the tv that I watch is American perhaps I really do talk like them. Or maybe people just really can't tell the difference. I actually had someone tell me the other day that he knew I was Canadian because of the way I said "about". Who knew? Interestingly, most people who ask if I'm American then apologize when I correct them, as if they think it's offensive. It's not that it offends me (well ok...) but the fact is I'm a proud Canadian! Shout it out! Anyway, once my maple leaf pin arrives I will be interested to see if it makes any difference. I'll keep you posted.

I've been feeling a bit run down this week - I found it tiring to work the weekend, mostly just having to get up each morning for work! But the end is in sight - tomorrow I'm off at 4 and then off for the weekend! Saturday evening is the Summer Garden Party for my clinic, so it'll be nice to go and socialize. And on Sunday we're hoping for a day trip to Brighton!

The past two days have been lovely here! (That's a word I've picked up here...) It's just like summer at home - today I sat outside at lunch and enjoyed the sun. But when it's warm it makes me wish more that I was at home on the river! Noise doesn't care for the heat, though, because it makes the tube pretty nasty. Fortunately for me I go against the rush hour traffic so it doesn't really affect me that way.

Well I should get back to watching the marathon episodes of Friends that are on every night. We had forgotten how hilarious this show was! Until later!

No comments: