Sunday, July 12, 2009

Big achievement!

We did it! After only 4 weeks of training from scratch, today we ran the British 5K London Run! My friend A and I decided to run a month ago and started training. It was tough work; I am not a natural runner. But we did it today, beating our goal of 35 minutes, in 32:25. It was not our intention to run the full 5K without any breaks, but we managed 4K without stopping, then after a short minute walk to catch my breath (I am also hampered by a cough due to cold), we finished it off! We are very proud of ourselves. Now we start looking for the next one! Noise also ran the race, as did A's boyfriend L. Noise managed it in 22 minutes, quite a lot faster than us!

The race route was quite nice, starting out along the Victoria Embankment, then back in the other direction to Westminster Bridge. We ran over the bridge and turned around and ran back again, under Big Ben, past Westminster Abbey, through Parliament Square and finally to the finish line along Whitehall just past Downing Street. Just as we passed underneath Big Ben he chimed 9am for us! How fun!

Now I turn my attentions to our guests arriving tomorrow morning! PetMom is coming for a week along with Aunt C and Dadamom. Can't wait to see them! They are arriving bright and early so I will be up early again tomorrow to meet them. I didn't think I needed to go all the way to Gatwick (my main reasoning being that their flight arrives at 5:30am!), but will meet them at Clapham Junction station and help them home from there. Now it's time for a nap!

No comments: